About the data on this website
There are some small differences between the Charity Commission's Register of Charities and this service:
- This service only includes active charities, and does not hold information on charities that have been removed from the register.
- Where duplicate entries apppear (especially in Annual Returns and Annual Accounts), all but the earliest dated entry has been removed
- This service includes additional validation on phone numbers, postcodes etc; and may not display items that do not correctly validate.
How we get this data
Information for the CharityData website is obtained when the Charity Commission publishes a snapshot of the Register of Charities, usually around the 12th of each month. We endeavour to update the CharityData website in a timely fashion, usually within one week of the data being published, but make no guarantee to do so.
The Charity Commission has a Personal Information Charter that outlines how it uses personal data.
May we draw you to the following key sections:
- "If you are a trustee or hold a senior management role in a registered charity or a registerable organisation, you may be required to provide us with certain information pursuant to the Charities Acts. Failure to comply may be a criminal offence."
- "We routinely publish and (make available for re-use) certain personal data on our website. This includes trustees’ names, the name and address of the designated Charity Contact, auditor or independent examiner, and information contained in charities’ annual accounts."
Correcting wrong information
If there is any inaccurate information on this service, unless the source is specified as elsewhere, it will have come from the Charity Commission Register of Charities.
Because of the way we obtain the data from the Charity Commission, each update overrides all previous information. Therefore we specifically do not make edits to our database directly as these would be erased when the next snapshot is uploaded. If there is incorrect information, you should seek to get the information amended on the Register of Charities.
To update incorrect information, you should either contact:
- If you are not responsible for the charity, contact the named contact at the charity concerned, who will be responsible for updating the charity’s entry on the Register of Charities
- If you are responsible for the charity, contact the Charity Commission directly using the following methods:
- Via the change your charity details page on Gov.UK. Further information about this service can be found on the Charity Commission website.
- The Charity Commission run a helpline, open Monday to Friday, from 10am to midday and 1pm until 3pm 0300 066 9197.
- Email the Charity Commission using this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want further help with the governance of your charity, you may want to become a member of the Small Charities Coalition who provide lots of practical help with setting up and running a small charity (under £1 million).
Hiding personal contact information
Where requested, we will remove personal contact information from the site (eg address details, phone numbers and emails) where these are obviously personal details, such as a private residence. Please contact us and explain why this information should be hidden.
It is worth saying that whilst the information is hidden from our site, it is still available on the charity’s listing on the Charity Commission website, which we link directly to from our page; and will also be available to any other services that make use of the Charity Commission data. If protecting your personal contact information is important to you, we would strongly recommend you make the necessary arrangements to remove it from the Register of Charities.
If we have hidden a charity’s contact details for the above reason, they will remain hidden until such time as we are made aware that the details on the Register of Charities have been updated.